When going off to college itís important to know what to take, thatís where dorm checklists or college dorm checklists come in. Most colleges will send you the checklist with your welcome or enrollment information packet detailing its policies, procedures and culture on what to bring and how to behave.
The list will help with giving you an idea of what you will need for your year away at college and also any restrictions that the college may have with what you can bring with you.
When looking through your list at what to buy make sure you contact your room mate, if you have one, to discuss who will bring which of the larger more expensive items such as microwaves and refrigerators.
You might also want to contact your college to get an idea of such things as the size of your room, how much closet space it has, what dorm room furniture comes with the room, does it come with a book shelf and whether you will need to bring your own lighting.
For an idea of what type of items are on checklists look below. Usually you would have to go to different places to buy all this stuff but now at Dorm Essentials you can get all your essential items and have them delivered to your home or college, just make sure that you contact your college about when and where to have your items delivered.
This isnít a complete list of dorm essentials but will give you an idea of the type and size of things that you will need at college and a few that will make life in your dorm more comfortable.
- Three sets of twin XL sheets
- Pillows Ė get new ones for college, forget the old ones at home
- Blankets and duvets
- Mattress pad or topper Ė you donít know how or comfortable your new bed will be
- Set of wash cloths and towels, at least two setsĖ one clean and one being used
- Flip-flops in case you share a bathroom
- Donít forget a hamper or laundry bag for holding dirty laundry and if you will do your own washing some detergent
- Laptop or notebook
- Printer Ė if you are going to print a lot of text consider a small laser printer to save money on ink
- Maybe a spare printer cartridge
- Microwave oven (if these are permitted)
- Coffee Maker
- Steam Iron
- Fan and/or heater
- Alarm click
- Hair dryer
- Power strip or surge protector
- Air purifier
- Humidifier and/or dehumidifier
Most college dorm rooms come with beds, desks and chairs. The most common college dorm furniture additions students take are extra chairs, lamps and a futon or sofas.
- Miscellaneous Dorm Room Essentials
- Basic dishes, cups, and silverware (cheap plastic versions will do)
- Area rug
- Posters and other decorations
- Large mirror if your room does not have one
- A bulletin or message board
- Storage Ė underbed and over the door are examples
- Digital or normal photo frame
- First aid kit
- Small tool kit and duct tape
- Shower tote to carry your shower stuff to and from the bathroom
- Important papers. Be sure to pack any important documents or ID cards you may need, such as a driverís license, registration forms, and financial-aid forms. If you plan to get a job, bring a copy of your birth certificate as proof of age.
- Medications. If you require prescription medications, bring enough with you to last until the next time you go home, or make sure that you can refill them at a pharmacy on campus or near the school.